has this chilly weather made anyone else feel sluggish and lazy lately? i know that i’m definitely guilty of being less productive in cold weather and i tend to cook less too. i’ve been eating pasta and butter for the past few nights which i usually never do. i decided to make this salad on a whim today and it turned out so amazing i thought i would share it with you all! nothing like a good salad to get you back on track!
- half of an orange
- quarter of a pomegranate
- mini cucumber
- pepitas (mine were roasted)
just combine all into one big bowl and enjoy! i didn’t toss mine with anything because i like when the citrus fruit makes its own sort of dressing but i assume that some balsamic vinegar or lime juice would pair wonderfully with this.
also a tip on how to actually get the seeds out of a pomegranate!! cut off the top and the bottom pieces and set aside. cut into quarters where the natural white part of the pomegranate divides the little sections of seeds. working with one quarter at a time, place into a bowl with water and pull back on the skin like you’re cracking it. this frees the seeds and also avoids the juice from squirting everywhere!! the seeds will sink to the bottom and the white part will float along the top. skim out the white part and toss, then drain the seeds into a strainer. easy!
after a whirlwind weekend that was certainly one of the best in awhile (boyfriend, football, movies, cookies), i was left yesterday feeling exhausted. but today i’m back with a recipe (!) of something incredibly delicious that i’ve had for the past two days. yes, in a row. it is so good and so easy and can be adapted so many different ways. i made mine with chicken but i’m sure shrimp would be just as yummy, or you can go completely meat free and not sacrifice any taste at all!
cheesy broccoli rice bowls
- 1 cup rice
- 1 chicken breast (or anything or no meat!)
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (i used colby jack on sunday and cheddar yesterday, both awesome)
1. boil water for your rice and broccoli. heat oil in a small skillet for the chicken and cut into bite sized pieces.
2. prepare the rice and steam broccoli for about five minutes or until bright green and tender. cook the chicken all the way through.
3. drain broccoli and then return to pan, add in chicken and your cheese, stir and then place the cover on the pan for about a minute. add in the rice and stir again, covering the pan for another minute.
4. serve into bowls and top with a little cheese, enjoy!
the quality of the photo is bad and i am totally to blame for that. once 7:00 rolls around i’m no hope for having patience to take a picture and not eat! i loved this meal and it is definitely going to be a weekly one because it is so filling and warm on the cold nights we’ve been having! i hope you enjoy!!