confession: i’ve been a snackaholic lately. i don’t know if it is the cold weather, the cozy blanket on my couch, or the abundance of good tv that demands to be watched but it has been hard to say no to my pantry lately. this happens to me every single year and i know it has to do with halloween, thanksgiving, and christmas all being right around the corner. once that calendar hits november, all of my good eating habits will hit the fan.
thankfully, i’ve been able to find some snacks that are actually good for you and don’t lack on flavor. at least i can salvage that part of my diet and save the unhealthy stuff for starbucks specialty drinks, homemade cake pops, and the abundance of good italian food waiting for me at home. here’s what i reach for when i have a snack attack:
- popcorn – the best of salty and savory. this satisfies the need for a crunch without the calories that come with a bag of chips. my favorite way to eat it? air popped with sea salt and m&m’s mixed in or boom chicka pop from whole foods.
- strawberries – i usually buy two cartons a week on mondays and immediately wash and cut up an entire carton and stick it in my fridge. having fruit and veggies already prepped makes it easier to reach for since it’s already done.
- dried mango – i always keep this in my bag. its so yummy and you don’t have to feel bad about it if you’re buying the kind without the added sugar and preservatives. i stock up every time i go to trader joe’s.
- coconut chips – these are salty sweet and satisfying enough that you only need a few. again, trader joe’s, gotta love ya.
- steamed edamame – SO GOOD. my absolute favorite and it takes a long time to eat so you’re digesting slower and not getting hungry again as quickly.
- tazo zen tea – an on the go favorite. this has been my go to at starbucks for the past month and with virtually zero calories, it is perfect. a tall fills me up for hours and the added metabolism boost doesn’t hurt either.
- pinterest balls – i actually have no idea what to call these but if you’re on pinterest i’m sure you’ve seen them. i make them at the beginning of the week and eat them when i need an extra energy boost. just combine 1 cup dry oatmeal, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/3 cup of honey, and 1 tsp of vanilla – roll into balls and stick them in a tupperware in the fridge. they last for about a week.
eat well, live well.