i hope everyone enjoyed the long weekend! between football games and olympics and a greek festival, i had an amazing weekend back here in ohio. it would be absolutely perfect if the weather would stay at this lovely 75 degrees for more than a day.
i spent my labor day playing catch up with homework and lying on the couch watching greek (a 2007 favorite). however, i did motivate myself enough to grab a bunch of ingredients and make a deliciously cheesy, basil-y, quinoa for dinner. if you’re a mac and cheese addict like me, you’ll LOVE this. i promise.
parmesan basil quinoa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- basil, i used two leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated + some for garnish
1. use a large saucepan and heat your olive oil over medium-high heat, then add in your onions and cook for 3-4 minutes or until they are translucent. add in your garlic and cook for another minute.
2. rinse your quinoa and add to the saucepan along with the water. let the quinoa cook all the way through, about 15 minutes.
3. add in your salt, peppers, basil, and cheese. mix throughly and i suggest covering the pan and letting it sit for just a minute so the cheese gets a chance to melt.
4. serve hot and garnish with the parmesan! enjoy!
this was absolutely delicious and i didn’t even miss the macaroni! it was creamy and cheese-y and healthy. i could eat this everyday for the rest of the week, that good.
let me know what you think!!