me and my friends decided to take on a challenge this past monday night and it was beyond worth it. based loosely (repeat, loosely) off of a recipe we found on pinterest, we basically decided to just use the cooking directions and throw in everything but the kitchen sink.
….and it turned out AMAZING. the veggies were perfectly crunchy, the quinoa added a different dimension that rice doesn’t quite provide, and it was so filling after one bowl that i wouldn’t even dare to have gone back for more.
[excuse the poor quality of this photo, all i wanted to do was eat!]
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 egg, scrambled and then cut up into small pieces. no need to add any milk/water.
- 1 chicken breast, diced. or beef or shrimp!
- 3 cups of cooked quinoa. pre-rinsed, don’t forget!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon stir-fry sauce, kikkoman is the best.
i would suggest cooking the quinoa, chopping your veggies, and cooking your chicken/beef/shrimp before you put the veggies on the stove, it moves very quickly after that.
1. heat the olive oil, garlic, and onion in a large pot until the onion is translucent. all of your veggies will be going in this pot so make sure its big enough.
2. add in the broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, and any other veggies you would like to add, except for the carrots. cook for about four minutes or until tender. this would have been delicious with snow peas and eggplant!
3. add in the carrots, cooked quinoa, and your choice of protein. cook for another two minutes.
4. add the soy sauce and the stir fry sauce, tossing lightly. add in the scrambled egg at the very last second.
5. serve! and enjoy!!
this was an awesome meal that i felt good about eating afterwards even though i was so full. it is full of good food and good nutrients and there is nothing better than knowing that! enjoy!!