i am not vegan. nor am i gluten free. however, this batch of brownies was unbelievably delicious. the ingredients may throw you off (they certainly were different!), but i promise that the final product results in deliciously gooey, chocolately, peanut buttery goodness.
huge shoutout to gluten-free-vegan-girl for the recipe!! the link to her site directs right to the recipe, the one below contains some modifications made by me!
photo credit to gluten-free-vegan-girl, i totally spaced on taking pictures!
gluten free, vegan brownies
- one can of black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 cup dates (pitted)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 big spoonfuls of peanut butter (probably somewhere around 1/3 cup)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. preheat oven to 215 degrees. process the dates, vanilla, and peanut butter in a food processor or high speed blender until it is a creamy paste. add in the black beans and continue to combine until it is as smooth as possible – i added half the beans and processed that until smooth, then the other half. it seemed to work much more easily. if the paste does not want to become smooth, add a tablespoon of water to the mixture.
2. scoop the mixture into a bowl and add in the remainder of the ingredients. knead together until completely mixed. at this point, it should resemble a dough.
3. line a small baking pan with parchment paper and dust the bottom with cocoa powder. spread the batter in the pan, pressing firmly using your palms.
4. bake for 1 1/2 hours or until throughly cooked. the brownies will be gooey when you take them out of the oven, i recommend letting them cool for at least a half hour before cutting into small squares. you could even pop them in the fridge to speed up this process!
brownies are best served with raspberries or strawberries!! enjoy!
side note: it is also fun to trick your friends and family into eating them and then telling them what is in the batter. for more than half the people i tried this on, they LOVED them.
have fun baking!!